29 Jan 77 Surprising Social Media Stats to Consider in 2020.
77 Surprising Social Media Stats to Consider in 2020.
From YMG – Digital Marketing Experts in Chelmsford, Essex.
If you’re looking for 77 social media statistics, split into 6 categories, covering Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Snapchat, and Reddit, you’ve come to the right place.
Without further ado, let’s start with:
True social media giants. In 2004, Facebook was founded, and it’s grown from strength to strength ever since.
1. There were around 2.45 billion active monthly users of Facebook in Q4 of 2019.
2. On average, nearly 750 million of those are accessing Facebook via their mobile phone.
3. Facebook’s userbase spends an average of 20 minutes per day on the platform.
4. There are over 4.5 billion ‘shares’ on Facebook every day.
5. Nearly 20% of millennials (15-34) have a Facebook account.
6. Five new Facebook accounts are created every second.
7. In 2012, 42% of marketers reported that Facebook was important to their business.
8. Facebook deleted nearly 600 million fake accounts in early 2018.
9. The Facebook app is the 5th most downloaded free app on the App Store.
10. Between 75-90% of all Facebook advertisements are image-based.
11. On average, a combined total of video views on Facebook sits at around 8 billion per day.
12. 85% of people watch Facebook videos with the sound off.
13. The average number of friends per Facebook account is 338.
14. The click-through-rate on Facebook averages at around 0.9%.
The preferred social media platform of many journalists. Started in 2006, Twitter is the king of the 280 character post.
15. In 2018 there were around 1.3 billion twitter accounts.
16. Active Twitter users only account for around 328 million (25%) of this.
17. Around 63% of Twitter users are aged between 35 and 65.
18. In the USA, over 66% of businesses with over 100 employees use Twitter for marketing purposes.
19. Over 80% of Twitter users access the platform via the mobile app.
20. On average, each Twitter session lasts less than 4 minutes.
21. In 2018, there were around 6,000 tweets every second.
22. The most-followed account on Twitter belongs to former US president, Barack Obama.
23. In 2019, Twitter had the fifth-highest social media referral traffic rate.
24. In a recent survey, as many as 40% of Twitter users said they’ve purchased a product due to an influencer Tweeting about it.
25. A 2018 report claims that more than 75% of users feel better about a brand when their Tweet has been responded to.
26. Tweets with one hashtag are nearly 70% more likely to be Retweeted than a Tweet with two or more.
27. Around 65% of prolific Tweeters are female.
28. Twitter adverts that feature videos work out around 50% cheaper in cost-per-engagement.
Founded as early as 2002, LinkedIn is known as the social media site for business professionals. Here are some stats:
29. As of 2020, LinkedIn currently has around 660 million members.
30. Over 300 million of these are monthly active users.
31. 45% of these LinkedIn accounts are signing in daily.
32. On average, 2 LinkedIn profiles are created every second.
33. Just under 60% of traffic on LinkedIn comes via mobile devices.
34. Around 57% of LinkedIn users are male.
35. 45% of LinkedIn users are in upper management.
36. Over 50% of social traffic to B2B websites & blogs comes from LinkedIn.
37. LinkedIn accounts with professional headshots get over 10x the number of profile views vs those without.
38. As many as 70% of marketers consider LinkedIn to be a reliable and trustworthy source of professional content.
39. Only around 1 million LinkedIn users have published articles on their account.
40. Long-form content gets shared considerably more on LinkedIn compared to short-form.
41. The average number of connections for a CEO on Linkedin is just under 1,000.
42. LinkedIn posts with images are 5 times more likely to get comments compared to posts without.
The image-based social media platform was founded in 2010 and is now one of the most popular social media sites in the world. Here are some stats:
43. In 2018, Instagram recorded over 1 billion monthly active users.
44. Over half of them view Instagram Stories every day.
45. As of 2020, there are over 25 million businesses with an Instagram account.
46. Just over half of Instagram accounts (52%) are female.
47. 72% of teenagers have an Instagram account.
48. The average Instagram user spends around 40 minutes browsing the social media platform every day.
49. Over half of all Instagram users follow at least one brand.
50. Around 200 million Instagram users browse a business profile daily.
51. The most followed Instagram account has 330 million followers. The account belongs to Instagram.
52. One-third of the most-viewed stories on Instagram belong to business accounts.
53. Posts with a location attached see an engagement increase of up to 79%.
54. Instagram influencers can charge up to $100,000 for a sponsored post.
55. The potential advertisement reach for an Instagram advert is nearly 850 million users.
56. There are currently around 500,000 active influencers on Instagram.
The ‘view it once and then it’s gone’ style of social media was founded in 2011 by Snap Inc. Their app, Snapchat, is particularly popular with younger audiences. Here are some stats:
57. There are currently 360 million monthly active Snapchat users.
58. Videos on Snapchat accumulate more than 10 billion views per day.
59. 64% of marketers use Snapchat.
60. Around half of Snapchat users are aged between 18 and 30.
61. The average time spent on Snapchat is just under 30 minutes per day.
62. Over half of Snapchat’s users are female, at around 61%.
63. The number of Snaps created in 2019 was around 2.1 million per day.
64. In 2020, the number of Snaps created per day has risen to 3 million per day.
65. In 2019, the UK had the third-highest number of Snapchat Users. At around 18 million users, they were behind France (20 million) and the USA (97 million).
66. Over 20% of Snapchat users will check out the Discovery section daily.
67. In Q3 of 2019, Snapchat reportedly generated around nearly 450 million dollars.
68. On average, Snapchat users open the app between 20 and 30 times per day.
69. It would take someone over 10 years to view all the photos shared on Snapchat within the last hour.
70. More than 60% of active Snapchat users create new content every day.
Reddit is more of a discussion forum than a social media site, however, it follows many similarities. Founded in 2005, it’s the self-proclaimed ‘Front page of the internet’. Here are some stats.
71. Over 70% of video views on Reddit came from a Mobile device.
72. Around 38% of users on Reddit are technology enthusiasts.
73. The 3 most popular subreddits include r/announcements (51 million members), r/funny (28 million members) and r/AskReddit (26 million members).
74. There are over 430 million monthly active users.
75. Reddit is the 5th most popular website in the USA.
76. On average, users will spend around 16 minutes on Reddit per session.
77. Countries with the most traffic on Reddit are led by the USA (38%), followed by the UK (7%), Canada (5%), Germany (3%) and Australia (3%).
YMG are a full-service digital marketing agency based in Chelmsford, Essex, and home of the Jargon Buster series, helping business owners to understand the technical terms of digital marketing.